Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Peanut Butter Twists


One of my favorite rolls that our school would serve with our lunches was a Peanut Butter Twist! They were so good, and I can honestly say I haven't had one since 2004. I've always wondered how they made them, but there really aren't too many recipes out on the internet that I could find. Last year, a girl that I used to go to school with was wanting a recipe on facebook, I immediately tuned in. Someone posted a recipe shortly after she requested it, and I was sure to copy the recipe down myself.

Me & Tracy (the other secretary here at work), we like to bring in a treat for the guys' birthdays. Last week Thursday it was my turn to bring something, so I decided I would give these yummy Peanut Butter Twists a try! I haven't ever made them before, so I wasn't sure how they would turn out. Below is how I made them, using the recipe that was posted on facebook and combining it with the recipe I found over at Taste of Home. They turned out amazing, and let me tell you...the peanut butter filling was so good, I kept eating it with a spoon. So.addicting. This is a keeper and I can't wait to make them again!



Peanut Butter Twists (adapted from a friend & Taste of Home)
Dough Ingredients:
1 box Hot Roll Mix
1 cup hot water (120*-130*F or hottest tap water)
2tbsp Butter, softened
1 Egg

PB Filling Ingredients:
2 cups creamy Peanut Butter
1 stick Butter, softened
1 cup Sugar
1 tbsp Cinnamon

Glaze Ingredients:
1.5-2 cups Powdered Sugar
5 tbsp warm Water
3 tbsp Peanut Butter Filling


Directions:
1. Using a mixer & dough hook, prepare dough as directed on Hot Roll Mix box.
2. Let rise 1 time for 10 minutes, flour counter top, and roll dough out into a rectangle.
3. Using a mixer, mix together the ingredients for the PB Filling.
4. Spread PB filling over dough, leaving approx 1/2" around edges.
5. Fold dough in half, and cut into 1"-2" wide strips.
6. Twist strips 3 times, and lay flat onto a parchment covered cookie sheet (or spray with cooking spray).
7. Bake at 350* for 15-20, until golden brown.
8. Remove from oven, let cool on pan for a few minutes, then transfer over to wire cooling rack and let cool completely.
9. Mix up powdered sugar glaze mixture, and drizzle over top of PB Twists.

Notes: This recipe will make 12-14 twists (or a few more) depending on how big you cut them. Next time I make them, I will cut the filling recipe in half. There was a bunch leftover that I had to throw out or I would've gotten sick from eating it all with a spoon! Or make 2 batches of dough. The glaze was a little too thin, next time use less water, or even try it with milk.


What was your favorite meal/snack to eat at school?


5 comments:

  1. Wowzers! Those look so good! I can see why you ate the peanut butter filling with a spoon ;-) I'm your newest follower. Thank so much for stopping by Posed Perfection and leaving me a sweet comment today about the wild brownie bites. I hope you'll visit again soon and maybe even follow me back. Have a great week!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your twists look delicious. I bet they were a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look AMAZING! You are going to think I am an idiot, but what is "hot roll mix"? And where can I find some? MUST. MAKE. THESE. SOOOOON.
    Thanks for sharing at Weekend Potluck!
    ~Tonya from 4 little Fergusons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonya ~ Hot Roll Mix is by Pillsbury, and it's basically just a basic dough mix to make dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, pizza dough, and even these amazing PB Twists. You should be able to find it in the baking isle with the cake mixes and such. This was my first time using Hot Roll Mix, and making dough for that matter, so I was a little nervous working with yeast. But it was very simple, and I'll be using it again for other delicious treats in the future! I specifically used the "Specialty Mix" Hot Roll Mix, but that's all my small town store had at the time...worked perfectly! You should be able to use the original as well. Hope you give them a try, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Hey fellow midwesterner, I am featuring you today on Weekend Potluck! :)
    Come see me and grab an "I was Featured" button if you'd like!
    Hugs, T

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)