Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Chicken Taco Soup!

I went from not blogging for awhile to 2 posts in 1 day...wahoo, I'm on top of it!  Last night we had Chicken Taco Soup, and it was really tasty!  I started off wanting to make regular Taco Soup, but I didn't have everything I needed for it.  It was lunch time and I didn't have time to run to the store and get everything put together in the crock pot.  So I opened up one of my cookbooks, and saw a recipe for Chicken Taco Soup.  It had similar ingredients as regular Taco Soup, except for a few things, so I thought that we'd give it a try.  So I got the chicken breasts thawed out and put everything in the crock pot over my lunch break, and off to work I went.  After work, the house smelled so yummy, and I couldn't wait for D to get home so we could eat!!

I took one picture, which was from today (leftovers), so I apologize for that, but I just had to share the recipe with you all!

Ingredients:
1 Onion, chopped
1 can Chili Beans
1 can Black Beans
1 can Corn
1 can Tomato Sauce
2 cans Ro-Tel
1 pkg. Taco Seasoning
3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts

Tortilla Chips (topping, optional)
Shredded Taco Cheese (topping, optional)
Sour Cream (topping, optional)
Jalapenos (topping, optional)

Directions:
1. Put everything in the crock pot, except the chicken.
2. Lay the Chicken Breasts on top, press into mixture to cover.
3. Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 6-8 hours.
4. Remove Chicken Breasts and shred, place back into crock pot.
5. Cook a little longer if you want, or serve it right up!
6. Top it with crushed Tortilla Chips, Shredded Cheese, Sour Cream, and Jalapenos (maybe a couple or all toppings...I personally did Chips, Cheese, and Jalapenos)

Side Notes: My crock pot has a built-in timer on it, so I cooked it on high for 4 hours and then shredded the chicken once it switched over to warm. D wasn't home yet, so I put it back on high for another hour or so and it was ready!  Also, I added in some other seasonings with it: Garlic Salt, Garlic Powder, Minced Onion, and Onion Salt.  If you want more of a "kick" I think adding some crushed red peppers to it, and maybe some Cayenne Pepper would be great!

Chicken Taco Soup!

I still can't believe that Thanksgiving is already here!  Tomorrow we'll be heading out on a long drive to Iowa, which will take us around 8 hours to get to D's grandma's house, and we aren't coming back until Sunday.  I will be missing my family, but at the same time it will be great to see all of D's family that we don't get to see very often.  I'm not too sure about the Black Friday shopping either, but D did say we might be able to go out shopping for a little bit, just not at 4am!  Black Friday shopping is something that has turned into a tradition for me, my mom, and whoever else wants to battle it out with us, so I'll be the one missing out this year.  That's ok, I won't mind getting a few extra hours of sleep!  I am really excited to see family and eat tons of food, until my stomach feels like it will explode!  I seriously do love Thanksgiving!!

Thanksgiving is not only about incredible food, but it's also the time where we remember what we are all thankful for.  I'm Thankful for...our wonderful families (parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc...), my AMAZING boyfriend D, Bernie, incredible friends, our new home, having a job, warm food on the table, soldiers fighting for our country and freedom, and most of all our Heavenly Father.  Be sure to tell everyone what you are Thankful for this Thanksgiving! 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL! 
Hope you have a wonderful and safe holiday!


Psalm 107:1 - "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!
His faithful love endures forever."

Linked up to...

3 comments:

  1. I made this soup yesterday - it was DELICIOUS!!! Although I cooked it in just a pot on the stove as I didn't decide that I wanted it until I got home after work! Brian really liked it - however I left the leftovers out on the counter overnight = bummer!!! I'll just have to make it again! :) Thanks for the great recipes!! I usually try to try your recipes cause they are so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! This is one of the random recipes I found that I will be making again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yumm! I think I might make this tonight!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)