Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Strawberry Lemonade Bars...perfect for a hot summer day!

A few weeks ago I was reading a blog that featured these yummy Strawberry Lemonade Bars from K&K Test Kitchen blog, I knew I just had to make them!  I've never even had lemon bars, let alone make them.  So Saturday morning I got up and made them for the pool party.  I was a little nervy since I hadn't ever made them, but they turned out fantastic!  They are sweet, tart, and down right amazing!  I can't wait to make them again.
I didn't take pictures, theirs look amazing!


I copied the recipe from K&K Test Kitchen and added my notes in pink.

Ingredients
Crust:
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt

Filling:
1 cup fresh lemon juice - I used probably 1/4 of fresh squeezed lemon juice, then I ran out of lemons, so I just used lemon juice that you buy, it worked just fine.
2-3 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup pureed strawberries (about 3/4 cup berries) - I used frozen strawberries, perfect!
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.

Begin by making the crust.  In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter, until smooth and fluffy. Working at a low speed, gradually beat in flour and salt until mixture is crumbly. Pour into prepared pan and press into an even layer. Bake for about 17 minutes, until set at the edges.

While the crust bakes, prepare the filling.  In the bowl of a food processor, combine lemon juice, lemon zest, strawberry puree, sugar and eggs and process until smooth. Add in flour, baking powder and salt, then pulse until smooth. - I don't have a food processor, so I just used my blender, it did a great job!

Gently pour the filling over the hot crust when it has finished baking. Return pan to oven and bake for 23-26 minutes, until the filling is set (There will be a light colored “crust” on top from the sugar in the custard – nothing to worry about).

Sprinkle the bars with some powdered sugar.  Cool completely before slicing and use a damp knife to ensure clean slices.  Store bars in the refrigerator, especially on a hot day.  Makes 24 bars. - I think next time I'll wait to sprinkle them with powdered sugar until right before serving.

These were so refreshing on a hot summer day!


Linking up too...
At Home With Haley
It's A Blog Party
The Girl Creative
Today's Creative Blog
The Shabby Chic Cottage
What Allie's Making Now
Peas & Crayons - What I Ate Wednesday
Somewhat Simple
Paisley's Passions
Lovely Crafty Home
Just a Girl
The Sisters of the Wild West
Polka Dots on Parade
Little Brick Ranch - Foodie Friday
This Chick Cooks
Ginger Snap Crafts

7 comments:

  1. Yum! :) Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog.. if you haven‘t already. Hope to see you there. {I’m a new follower.} :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound like the perfect cool summer dessert and the ingredients are everything we like.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kayla! Glad you liked the Strawberry Lemonade Bars as much as we did! Love your blog!

    -Kelsey from K&K Test Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love this! Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these look so delicious! I will definitely be making these as soon as I can find me some lemons!

    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Just found your blog through the Thursday Linky Party and am a new follower! Check out my blog and follow back :)

    Can't wait to read more of your recipes!

    Thanks,
    Krista
    http://www.the-not-so-deperate-chef-wife.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoops! My blog url I left you in the last comment has a typo in it. Here is the right url: http://www.the-not-so-desperate-chef-wife.com

    lol Sorry!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)