Thursday, August 18, 2011

Amazing Zucchini Boats

One thing I love about having a garden is the fresh produce that you get from it.  This summer has been really hot, so we haven't had a whole lot produce.  However, it hasn't been as hot lately (95 compared to 110, I'll take it) so our plants have started producing.  We picked 2 good sized Zucchini's Saturday, and I picked another one last night.  We have more little ones starting up, can't wait!  Last night I wanted to make something new with the Zucchini, and I also had some hamburger thawed out that I needed to use up.  So I got to searching around and found this recipe for Zucchini Boats on Tasty Kitchen.  I knew I had to give it a try, and of course adapting the recipe to our liking (click above for the original recipe, below is what I made).  My recipe will make 4 Zucchini Boats, and you may or may not have some hamburger filling leftover.

Ingredients:
2 Zucchini (not too small), cut length wise
EVOO
Salt & Pepper to Taste

1 lb Hamburger
1/2 cup of Onion, diced
2-1/2 tbsp Bread Crumbs
2 tbsp Milk
1 large Egg Yolk
Seasonings for Hamburger to taste: Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasoning, Seasoning Salt, and Garlic Salt.
1 can of Tomato Sauce
Seasonings for Sauce to taste: Pepper, Italian Seasoning, Garlic Salt, and 1-2tsp of Brown Sugar
Italian Blend Shredded Cheese

Directions:
1. Turn on oven to Broil, slice Zucchini in half length wise, and make a "boat" by digging out the insides leaving some around the edges.  I used a knife and a spoon, melon baller would be perfect if you have one.  Peel part of the bottom off so they will lay flat on the baking sheet.

2. Brush EVOO on Zucchini, and sprinkle with some salt & pepper. Broil for 10-12 minutes, or until tender.

3. Add Hamburger and the remaining ingredients (except for Tomato Sauce, Sauce Seasonings, and Cheese) and brown together.

4.  In a separate bowl mix the Tomato Sauce and seasonings together, then add into browned Hamburger mixture.

5. Once Zucchini is tender, take out of oven and begin spooning in the Hamburger mixture.  You'll want them heaping a little bit. Sprinkle Italian Cheese on top.

6. Broil for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly on top.  Let them cool for a few minutes and devour!

They are pretty simple to make, the hardest part is scooping the zucchini out.  I told Dustin it's like eating your cake and getting your vegetables too!!  They are THAT delicious!  HAHA!!  And don't throw the insides out, you can use that to make some Heavenly Zucchini Bread, I'm baking some tonight!  Holler! 


What is your favorite thing to make with Zucchini...do share!! :)

PS - If you have any of hamburger filling leftover, this would be great on a hamburger bun sprinkled with cheese...eat it like a sammie!



Linking up too...
At Home With Haley
It's A Blog Party
The Girl Creative
Today's Creative Blog
The Shabby Creek Cottage
What Allie's Making Now
Peas & Crayons - What I Ate Wednesday
Somewhat Simple
Lovely Crafty Home
Just a Girl
The Sisters of the Wild West
Polka Dots on Parade
This Chick Cooks
Ginger Snap Crafts

1 comment:

  1. Really love this idea; they look super good! When it is zucchini time I use shredded zucchini to replace carrots in my carrot cake or muffins. My daughter in law has a nice zuchini salad I have posted about on my blog.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)