Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Our Wedding Details: DIY Unity Candle

Our next project that I created for our wedding was a DIY Unity Candle.  I searched everywhere trying to find the perfect Unity Candle that I could purchase, but nothing stood out to me.  They were all pretty basic, didn't have the look that we were going for, or way to expensive.  So I decided that I would make our own after purchasing a plain candle set from Hobby Lobby.  I can't remember how much it was, maybe like $20, plus I had a coupon for 40% off. 



I also looked around for the perfect Unity Candle holder, but I wasn't willing to pay an arm & a leg for it.  This particular one you can purchase at Hobby Lobby for $19.99, but we only paid $7 for it after spotting it on Craigslist.  My oldest brother was so kind to go pick it up for me, since it was located in his town.  I was so excited!!



Ok, back to making our own Unity Candle...I got some wide Navy ribbon, measured it out for what I would need to wrap around the candle and set it aside.  I took the lace roll used in the Memorial Candle Holder, also measured it out for what I would need and set it aside.  Then I took the same colored fuchsia colored ribbon that I used on the Bouquets, measured and set aside.  I wanted to wrap the lace around the Navy to give it a little dimension, and I glued those two together.  I carefully wrapped the Navy Lace around the Unity Candle, used a little hot glue to adhere it to the candle.  I then wrapped and glued the fuchsia ribbon around.  Next I took some thin Lime Green ribbon and criss-crossed it in the front, gluing in the back. Last I tied a small lime green bow, glued it in the center of the criss-cross, and added a little crystal jewel in the center.



For the 2 Taper Candles, I simply made a small criss-cross, followed by a small bow, and added in another little crystal jewel. 


We were so nervous lighting the candles, our hands were shaking.
I kept thinking we were going to light something on fire!
I thought it turned out perfect, and just the way I had envisioned!  I really love how the lace looks with the Navy ribbon, it really gives it some pizazz!



What do you think?  Did you make your own Unity Candle, or were you able to find one that suited your wedding?



Just in case you are curious, we played "God Gave Me You" by Blake Shelton as our Unity Candle Lighting Ceremonial Song.  It was perfect!! 

Please let me know if you have any questions on how I made it.  I hope it's not too confusing without actual step-by-step pictures.


Credits -
Unity Candle Set made by: Your Truly!
Photography: Crossroads Photography
Plain Candle: Hobby Lobby
Unity Candle Holder: Craigslist find
Navy & Lime Green Ribbon: Walmart
Fuchsia Ribbon: Hobby Lobby
Lace: Hobby Lobby
Crystal Jewels: Michael's (purchased years ago for other project)


Six Sisters Stuff
Sugar Bee Crafts
BruCrew Life

1 comment:

  1. I personalized pretty much every aspect of my wedding, but the unity candle I just bought with a 40% off coupon at Michael's LOL! I love your bright colors, my bridesmaids wore navy also. I just think that color is stunning on pretty much everybody. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)