Friday, February 25, 2011

Homemade Alfredo Sauce

When I make Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo, I normally use the Alfredo sauce that comes in the jar (like Newman's or Ragu), but this time I wanted to try to make it from scratch.  So I did a little browsing on the internet and came across a couple, and then narrowed it down to this one.  It sounded simple and yummy!  I'd have to say that this Alfredo Sauce is the best I've ever had!!  It was so rich and creamy, you can bet I won't be buying the stuff that comes in the jar next time around!!  I tweaked the recipe a little, added some more seasonings, garlic clove, and milk on top of what the recipe called for. 


Basic Ingredients (minus milk, and other seasonings)
Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter (per Thrifty Mom is has to real butter or it will get really oily)
1 cup heavy cream (I used heavy whipping cream)
1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese (from other recipes I've read it needs to be the shredded kind not the powdery kind that comes in the shaker. I used the Italian Blend (Parmesan and Mozzarella), worked perfectly)
1/8 teaspoon Pepper (I used a lot more than that, I like a lot of pepper in my Alfredo Sauce)
2-4 tbsp Milk (more or less for your liking, it was too thick which is why I added Milk)
1 Garlic Clove, minced (my addition)
Italian Seasoning (maybe 1 tbsp, but mainly to taste, my addition)
Garlic Salt (to taste, my addition)
Salt (to taste, my addition)
Favorite Noodles, cooked
Chicken Breasts, cut and cooked as desired

Directions:
1. Cut and cook Chicken Breasts as desired (I seasoned mine with Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasoning, and Garlic Salt), and set aside.
2. Boil Noodles and cook until done
3. While Noodles are boiling, put the minced Garlic and Butter into pan on medium heat(I used the same pan as I cooked the Chicken, it was already hot and ready to go), add Heavy Cream, Cheese, and Pepper. Stir it together until its well blended (must be on medium heat or it won't set up right).
4. Continue to stir it and once there are a couple of bubbles, take the pan off the heat (don't let it come to a full boil or the oil will separate.
5. If it is too thick for your liking, this is where you'll add in the milk, continue to stir.
6. Add in the remaining seasonings to taste (salt, garlic salt, Italian seasoning).
7. Once you have the sauce to where you want it, add in your chicken, stir together.
8. Serve over your favorite pasta!
Chicken was added and almost ready to eat!

I'm telling you, you must give this a try!!  The sauce is so rich, nutty (from the cheeses) creamy, cheesy, that you'll fall in love with it!!

Mmmm...seconds?!
And yes, that is a toasted english muffin with butter and garlic!


Linking up to...
At Home With Haley
It's A Blog Party
The Girl Creative
The Shabby Chic Cottage
What Allie's Making Now
Somewhat Simple
Paisley's Passions
Not So Homemade 
Just A Girl

4 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My fav garlic bread is on an english muffin too! I haven't had them in while and i'm craving this now!

    Have a great weekend!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM. That looks super yummy! And pretty darn easy! Thank you for sharing the recipe!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMmmm... this recipe looks so YUMMY! Thanks for sharing!

    I wanted to let you know your recipe was featured on this week's What's Cooking Wednesday! I hope you'll stop by and link up some more awesome recipes!

    3/2 What's Cooking Wednesday

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)