Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bierock Casserole

I'm a little behind sharing what I made last week, but I figure it's better late than never!  I have another recipe to share with you all, and it's another one of our favorites!  You might have heard me mention Bierocks before, and Bierock Casserole is pretty much the same thing, only less time consuming to make!! :)

A little history on the Bierock in case you're wondering what a Bierock is (btw, I could totally have typed it all out, but much easier to copy and paste from Wikipedia!)...
Bierocks are meat-filled pocket pastries originating in Eastern Europe, possibly in Germany or Russia. The dish is common among the Volga German community in the United States and Argentina. It was brought to the United States in the 1880s by German Russian Mennonite immigrants.[1] Bierock is filled with cooked and seasoned ground beef, shredded cabbage and onions, then oven baked until the dough is golden brown. Some variants include grated carrots.

So basically they are like a ham & cheese pocket, but with Hamburger, Onions, and Cabbage mixed together.  And let me tell you, they are delish (waaayyyy better than a hot pocket)!  In Nebraska people call them Runza's, and there is a fast food place called Runza also.  The only difference is that Bierocks are in the shape of a bun/round and Runza's are rectangle.  You can make them with regular cabbage or sauerkraut (I personally like them made with regular cabbage).  You can eat them plain, with butter and salt on top, or my personal fav, dipping it in ketchup!  This might sound a little bias, but both of my Grandma's make THE BEST bierocks, ever!  No joke!
Not my Grandma's Bierock...
but this picture is from Becky's Bierocks!

So now onto the Bierock Casserole...it's a much easier version for someone who doesn't have the patience to create my own dough nor the time to wait for it to do it's magic!  I learned how to make this in high school, and ever since it's one of my favorites (as long as regular bierocks aren't around!).  Here is the recipe and pictures ya'll!


Ingredients: Ground Beef, Onion, Cabbage, Crescent Roll Dough,
Cream of Mushroom Soup, Cheddar Cheese, Salt & Pepper to taste

Brown Hamburger and Onion together.
Add Salt & Pepper to taste.
Drain off grease.

Add Cabbage, and steam.

Add Cream of Mushroom, and steam.

Steam all together until the cabbage and onion are soft.
Should look similar to this.

Roll out Crescent Roll on bottom of casserole dish.
Spoon in Hamburger mixture.
 
Cover with Cheese!!
(I looove Cheese!!)

Cover with another thing of Crescent Roll Dough.
Bake.

Golden Brown = Perfection!
 Ingredients:
2 lbs Ground Beef
1 medium Onion, diced
1 small head of Cabbage, shredded (or you can use the coleslaw salad mix by the bagged lettuce...I normally use the regular Cabbage, but this time I used the Coleslaw mix which is why you see carrot slivers, and it was easier!)
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 cans Crescent Rolls
2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Salt & Pepper to Taste

Directions:
1. Brown Hamburger and Onion, and add Salt & Pepper to taste.
2. Drain of grease.
3. Add Cabbage to Hamburger mixture, and cover with lid.  Let steam approximately 10 min.
4. Stir in Cream of Mushroom Soup, and cover back up.  Let steam for another 10 min. or so.  The cabbage and onion should be soft or close to.
5. Line bottom of a greased 9"x13" pan with 1 can of crescent rolls.  Press down until flat and pinch seams together.
6. Spoon Hamburger mixture over the crescent rolls.
7. Cover with Cheese.
8. On top of the Cheese lay out the other can of flattened crescent rolls, pinch seams together.
9. Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Side Note: The top layer of Crescent Rolls can be tricky.  It sometimes is easier to flatten it out first before putting on top of cheese.  The seams don't have to be perfect, as matter of fact you can tell I had to patch a couple of holes!  You can eat it plain, or my fav...dipped in ketchup!


If you decide to give this a try, please swing back by here and let me know how it turned out for you!!


Linking up to...

6 comments:

  1. I love bierocks... what a great idea to turn it into a casserole! I'll be trying this soon.. thanks for sharing with SYS Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the Russians in our family call them Runza. We love stopping in Nebraska on our way out west to get a Runza from the fast food place, because they are something different for car food :) But this is great as a casserole!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie.
    I can't wait to see what you have next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sooo reminds me of a Runza!! Yummmmmyyy! :)And also thank you for the sweet comment about Clara. I can't believe she's one either!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this great casserole! I'll be linking you on my blog soon. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made this for my family and it was a HUGE hit! I used the packaged Cole slaw mix and we loved a bit of crunch! Thanks for the recipe -- it' s a keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe, we will just love it, and thank you so much for sharing!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)