Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Southwest Stew!

One evening last week I decided I wanted something hot since it was a little nippy out, but not Chili since we had just had that the week before.  Then I remembered this awesome Southwest Stew recipe D's cousin shared with us that he really liked.  I've made some of my own changes to the original recipe, which is what is listed below.  I've also tried it other ways, like with steak instead of ground beef, but we really didn't care for it too well.  Anyways, it really is so good, like a mix between Chili, Taco Soup, and Beef Stew.  We love this stuff, so I just had to share this with all of you out there!!!  But let me also add that this makes a huge pot full, and it's great leftover!  I've never have done it in the crock pot before, but it would be yummy!


Ingredients, minus the hamburger!

Brown Hamburger and Onion together.
Drain grease.
 
Throw everything together in a large pot and simmer!
 
Top it off with Frito's and Cheese!
 Ingredients
2 pounds ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1  can diced tomatoes (I've used regular and chili ready tomatoes, both are great!) 
1 can kidney beans
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup medium salsa
2 cups water
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Toppings:
Frito's
Shredded Cheddar Cheese or Taco Blend Shredded Cheese 

Directions:
1. Brown Hamburger and Onion together. (I always add a little seasoning with my hamburger, but I don't measure it: Red Pepper Flakes, Salt, Pepper, a little dash of Cumin)
2. Drain Hamburger mixture.
3. Add the remaining ingredients to a large pot, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes.
4. If desired top with Frito's and Cheese!

Side Note: I always do a taste test towards the end to see if it need any additional salsa, spices, etc...I usually add something to it just depends!  We like it with a little kick!  I also usually let it cook for longer than 45 min by the time it's all said and done!  Enjoy!

If you decide to give this a try, please swing back by and let me know how it turned out!!  Cheers!


Linking up to:
Today's Creative Blog - Get Your Craft On Tuesdays
At Home with Haley - Recipes I Can't Wait To Try
It's A Blog Party - Delicious Dishes
The Girl Creative Party Blog - Just Something I Whipped Up

3 comments:

  1. UMMMMMM that looks delicious Kayla!!! And...thank you so much for your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This looks fabulous! I will take an order of it, right now :)
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie.
    I can't wait to see what you have next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds easy and looks like it would be delicious. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)