Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hot Hamburger Plate!

Have you ever heard of a Hot Hamburger?  If not, it's similar to a Open Face Hot Beef Sandwich, only made with a Hamburger Patty on top of a piece of Bread, topped with French Fries (I used Mashed Potatoes) and Brown Gravy.  It's pretty delicious, actually!  The other night, for some reason I thought it sounded good, so I searched for a recipe (mainly for the gravy, I knew how to make the mashed potatoes and hamburgers).  I found this recipe over at Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen Blog, which was originally submitted by AlishaGibb.  They made it with french fries, I made mine with Mashed Potatoes.  I also seasoned my hamburgers a little differently, but you can do whatever your heart desires!  Main thing here is the gravy...it was sooo tasty!!  I seriously don't like brown gravy and haven't ever made it until the other night, but this will be on my list to make again!!

I didn't take a whole bunch of pics, PW's tutorial is way better if you want to see how she did everything!

Ingredients/Directions:
For Hamburger Patties:
Ground Beef
Seasonings for hamburgers to taste (I used: salt, black pepper, Rufus Teague Spicy Meat Rub, minced onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning)
**In a bowl, get your hands dirty and knead Ground Beef and seasonings together until well blended.  1lb will make 4 hamburgers, so split into even 1/4 patties.  Heat skillet to medium heat, add hamburger patties, and cook until desired doneness, set hamburger aside on a plate.  Leave grease in the skillet for the gravy.  Tip from Bobby Flay: when you patty up your burgers put an indention in the middle so the patties don't shrink up into a little ball.**

Hamburger and seasonings

 
Patty burgers up and make an indention in the middle

For Creamy Mashed Potatoes:
5 Russet Potatoes, peeled and chopped
approx 1 Tbsp Milk (might be less)
approx 1 Tbsp butter/margarine
**In a large pot, bring water to a boil.  Add peeled and chopped potatoes into boiling water and boil until they are done.  Drain the water off of the potatoes, add in milk and butter.  Using a hand mixer, mix the potatoes, milk, and butter together until they are "mashed".  Tip: you don't want your potatoes too runny, so add the milk a little at a time.  I don't measure it, I just eyeball it.  I started boiling the potatoes first, because they take the longest**

For Brown Gravy:
4 Beef Bouillon Cubes or 2 (14oz cans) of Beef Broth
4 Cups of water (only if you use the bouillon cubes)
5 Tbsp Flour
Black Pepper
**Dissolve 4 Beef Bouillon Cubes in 4 Cups of boiling water, set aside.  In the same skillet used for hamburgers, turn heat down to medium-low heat, add in flour 1 Tbsp at a time, stir constantly, to soak up the grease and make a roux (I didn't use all 5 Tbsp, I used approx 4 Tbsp).  Slowly add in the broth, a little at a time, stir constantly, simmer and allow to thicken.  Stir in some pepper if you want, I did!  Tip: if you don't have enough grease from your hamburgers, you can always add some oil into your skillet and heat it up before making your roux.

For gravy: 4 bouillon cubes, 4 cups water, and 5 Tbsp flour
Grab a plate, layer with the following:
1 piece of bread
1 hamburger patty
scoop of mashed potatoes
smother with as much gravy as you want!


Pure Deliciousness!
I served ours with Fresh Green Beans!


Linking up too...
At Home With Haley
It's A Blog Party
Peas & Crayons - What I Ate Wednesday
The Girl Creative
The Shabby Chic Cottage
What Allie's Making Now
Somewhat Simple
Paisley's Passions
Not So Homemade 
Just A Girl

8 comments:

  1. ok even the green beans are calling my name! =) Totally going to have to try this spice combo on paul's burgers! =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH man...I NEEDED that indention tip!! That dinner looks sooo tasty! Ryan would love all of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like it would be right up Mr. Arkansas alley... maybe I'll make it this weekend to win him over again :+) Thanks for the tips I'll do mashed taters as well.

    XO,

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  4. By girl! Your the lucky winner to my Imprint Mat giveaway send me an email so I can have it sent your way ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks Super yummy! Will be trying that indentation tip!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! That looks like good down-home cooking! I wouldn't pass it up. Although I am tempted by the French fries instead of mashed potatoes on top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great! I don't blame you, I wouldn't try to rival PW either. She's pretty good at that whole blogging thing. ;-) Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to let you know your recipe was featured this week :)

    Thanks for sharing... I LOVE hamburger and gravy kind of meals. I SO have to make this!

    3/30 What's Cooking Wednesday

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)