Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hot Hamburger Plate!

Have you ever heard of a Hot Hamburger?  If not, it's similar to a Open Face Hot Beef Sandwich, only made with a Hamburger Patty on top of a piece of Bread, topped with French Fries (I used Mashed Potatoes) and Brown Gravy.  It's pretty delicious, actually!  The other night, for some reason I thought it sounded good, so I searched for a recipe (mainly for the gravy, I knew how to make the mashed potatoes and hamburgers).  I found this recipe over at Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen Blog, which was originally submitted by AlishaGibb.  They made it with french fries, I made mine with Mashed Potatoes.  I also seasoned my hamburgers a little differently, but you can do whatever your heart desires!  Main thing here is the gravy...it was sooo tasty!!  I seriously don't like brown gravy and haven't ever made it until the other night, but this will be on my list to make again!!

I didn't take a whole bunch of pics, PW's tutorial is way better if you want to see how she did everything!

Ingredients/Directions:
For Hamburger Patties:
Ground Beef
Seasonings for hamburgers to taste (I used: salt, black pepper, Rufus Teague Spicy Meat Rub, minced onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning)
**In a bowl, get your hands dirty and knead Ground Beef and seasonings together until well blended.  1lb will make 4 hamburgers, so split into even 1/4 patties.  Heat skillet to medium heat, add hamburger patties, and cook until desired doneness, set hamburger aside on a plate.  Leave grease in the skillet for the gravy.  Tip from Bobby Flay: when you patty up your burgers put an indention in the middle so the patties don't shrink up into a little ball.**

Hamburger and seasonings

 
Patty burgers up and make an indention in the middle

For Creamy Mashed Potatoes:
5 Russet Potatoes, peeled and chopped
approx 1 Tbsp Milk (might be less)
approx 1 Tbsp butter/margarine
**In a large pot, bring water to a boil.  Add peeled and chopped potatoes into boiling water and boil until they are done.  Drain the water off of the potatoes, add in milk and butter.  Using a hand mixer, mix the potatoes, milk, and butter together until they are "mashed".  Tip: you don't want your potatoes too runny, so add the milk a little at a time.  I don't measure it, I just eyeball it.  I started boiling the potatoes first, because they take the longest**

For Brown Gravy:
4 Beef Bouillon Cubes or 2 (14oz cans) of Beef Broth
4 Cups of water (only if you use the bouillon cubes)
5 Tbsp Flour
Black Pepper
**Dissolve 4 Beef Bouillon Cubes in 4 Cups of boiling water, set aside.  In the same skillet used for hamburgers, turn heat down to medium-low heat, add in flour 1 Tbsp at a time, stir constantly, to soak up the grease and make a roux (I didn't use all 5 Tbsp, I used approx 4 Tbsp).  Slowly add in the broth, a little at a time, stir constantly, simmer and allow to thicken.  Stir in some pepper if you want, I did!  Tip: if you don't have enough grease from your hamburgers, you can always add some oil into your skillet and heat it up before making your roux.

For gravy: 4 bouillon cubes, 4 cups water, and 5 Tbsp flour
Grab a plate, layer with the following:
1 piece of bread
1 hamburger patty
scoop of mashed potatoes
smother with as much gravy as you want!


Pure Deliciousness!
I served ours with Fresh Green Beans!


Linking up too...
At Home With Haley
It's A Blog Party
Peas & Crayons - What I Ate Wednesday
The Girl Creative
The Shabby Chic Cottage
What Allie's Making Now
Somewhat Simple
Paisley's Passions
Not So Homemade 
Just A Girl