Monday, March 21, 2011

{Dry Aged} Beef...It's What's for Dinner!

I am so excited for Spring to finally be here!  I really hope Mother Nature isn't teasing us, because yesterday it was gorgeous out!  We did some Spring cleaning in the basement (yep, more on that later), and grilled steaks and veggies for supper!  We love to grill as much as we can in the Spring/Summer, plus I love that it doesn't heat up the house!

Have you ever had Dry Aged Beef at a fancy Steakhouse, or even attempted to do it at home?  This was our second time to prepare our steaks this way, and it turned out pretty good!  Dry aging beef makes the muscle break down over a period of time, making the steaks more tender and more flavorfull.  Yes, your steaks will shrink down in size, but its for the better...trust me!  D says the fat is even tender (I do not like fat on steaks, so I did not try it)!  So you want to know how to dry age some steaks, do ya?  Well it's really simple!

I've read that you should by a whole slab, but we already have individual steaks and it worked just fine.  I layed a couple Sirloin Steaks (its even better on Ribeyes!) out on Wednesday morning, by Wednesday evening they were pretty well thawed out.  I wrapped those bad boys up in some paper towels, place on a plate, and put back into the refrigerator (note: you can also use thin dishtowels or cheesecloth). 

Wrap steaks in paper towels, change every 24 hours
Every 24 hours change the paper towels out.  The first couple days the towels will be soaked in blood (I know kind of gross, but well worth it in the end!).  I aged them for 5 days (Wednesday night thru Sunday), and grilled them last night (Sunday night).  The raw steaks were a little dry on the outsides, but that is completely normal.  I think you can cut that part off if you want, but we leave it on there.  You'll also notice the raw beef to be squishy/more tender, and that's what you'll want. 

Steaks after 5 days, ready to BBQ!
You can season your steaks if you want (we did).  Now you're ready to throw them on the BBQ Grill and cook them to your preferred done-ness (we personally like them Medium Rare)!  I'm not sure, but I wouldn't think Well Done would be very good doing it this way...it would be extra crunchy on the outsides, but to each their own!  I cut up a couple Zucchini, 1 Red Pepper, and 1/4 of an onion, and put them in a grill basket with some butter and seasonings.  Everything turned out perfect!!  It was the perfect way to end our weekend!
Steaks seasoned, ready to go!
Mmm...look at those fresh veggies!
 
Grilled to perfection!

Tonight we are going to grill up some Zesty Italian Chicken (on the grill instead of the oven)!  What is your favorite thing to grill?


Linking up to...
At Home With Haley
It's A Blog Party
Peas & Crayons - What I Ate Wednesday
The Girl Creative
The Shabby Chic Cottage
What Allie's Making Now
Somewhat Simple
Paisley's Passions
Not So Homemade 
Just A Girl

6 comments:

  1. Holy cow! (No pun intended) =o) That looks absolutely amazing! What a fantastic meal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had dry rubbed anything before. At least I don't think so? haha! The veggies are calling to me, as always -- yum!!!!

    Thanks for linking up doll! it finally registered -- i am going to try to pay for one of the better link parties to make things easier on everyone. the free ones are on the fritz sometimes!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Erin - it was FANTASTIC! You've gotta try it!

    @Jenn - if you ever go to a fancy steak place, that's what they have on their menu...you'll also pay out the ying-yang! So not only was this meal excellent, it was also pretty cheap compared to going out to eat. I like FRUGAL!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful! Even though I no longer eat meat my husband still loves a great steak and I still love looking at and smelling them!

    This is PERFECT for my new weekly linky party, Foodie Friday. Please stop on over and link up!

    Oh - and I found you on What Allies Making Now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had dry aged beef either. I eat what the poor people do...wet, new, beef. =) Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Haley - this is why you must give this technique a try! No where near as expenisve as what you'd pay going out to eat! Seriously, it makes the steaks so tender and tasty!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)