Monday, February 14, 2011

Sugar Cookies and Buttercream Frosting (and FMIL Bday!)

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY, EVERYONE!!!

Yesterday was D's moms (my future mother in-law!) birthday!  I had asked he what kind of dessert she wanted and she decided she wanted sugar cookies instead of cake!  That was perfect, because I found this awesome Sugar Cookie recipe over at Nifty Thrifty Things and I wanted to make some for Valentines Day.  So late Saturday night after getting home from a really quick trip to my {small} hometown I whipped up a batch of the cookie dough and chilled it overnight.  And then on Sunday morning I rolled the dough out, cut into shapes (hearts, I <3 U, puckered lips, etc...).  The lips were for Penny, because she's always leaving lipstick kisses on anyone and everyone!  It's her trademark!!  I also made some homemade  PINK buttercream frosting, a recipe from my old co-worker (shout out to Sheila if you're reading this, miss you girl!!), it's the best frosting I've ever had on sugar cookies, I think!!! 

Ingredients for Sugar Cookies:
2 sticks Butter, softened (or 1 cup)
3 oz Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup Sugar
1 Egg
pinch of Salt
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp Almond Extract (optional) - I didn't have any, so I left it out
3 cups Flour

Directions
1. Cream butter and cream cheese together until fluffy
2. Add in Sugar, mix well
3. Add in Egg, Salt, Vanilla and Almond Extract, mix well.
4. Slowly add in flour (1 cup at a time) and mix well.
5. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for several hours or overnight
6. Roll dough out on a floured surface (you want them to be on the thick side, maybe 1/4") and cut out cookies.
7. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet (or line cookie sheet with parchment paper, then add cookies - cookies will come right off and less cleanup!) at 375*F for 12-15 minutes.  Cookies should barely begin to have brown edges.
8. Let cool and frost as desired!

Ingredients for ButterCream frosting:
1/4 cup White Shortening
1/2 stick Butter (or 1/4 cup), softened
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 to 1-1/2 tbsp of Milk (I actually didn't measure and I ended up adding more in the end, just depends on how you like it)
Food coloring (optional)

Directions:
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and butter until fluffy. 
2. Add vanilla; mix well. 
3. Slowly add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition.  Scrape bowl often. 
4. Add milk and beat until light and fluffy.  Mix in food coloring if you want.
5. Frost cookies as desired!
Side Note: Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.  Store any leftover frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.  Beat again before using.  Spread w/ a bent icing knife.

Here is Penny with her cookies (I also made her a tile that says "FAITH HOPE LOVE - the greatest is love"...I post that later):


Mmm...birthday cookies!
 Here are the cookies I made just for D and I for tonight, for our Valentines dessert (I'll do a seperate post on what I made D his vday gift!)...don't they look YUMMY?!

<3 <3 <3 Love Love Love <3 <3 <3

Our Valentines dessert! :)


Linking up to...
At Home With Haley
It's A Blog Party
Peas & Crayons - What I Ate Wednesday
The Girl Creative
Today's Creative Blog

3 comments:

  1. Ohmygoooosh these are too flipping cute! =) Your FMIL seems super sweet! She look stoked about her cookies =)

    Go kayla!

    Happy Vday!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. your cookies not only sound delicious but look adorable

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)