Thursday, February 24, 2011

Colorado Getaway!

D and I left for Denver on Thursday morning.  We wanted to have a long weekend to celebrate his birthday, visit his best friend Blake, and go skiing.  Blake actually lives downtown Denver, which is such a cool area.  We were within walking distance to local breweries, bars, and nice restaurants.  Every time we walked downtown we went right by Coors Stadium where the Colorado Rockies play!

I can see the mountains...getting closer to Denver!
 
Closer and closer!

Thursday when we got there, we went to get our ski's and some ski gear (gloves, pants, goggles, etc) downtown.  It didn't take me long to realize that everyone drives crazy there!!  After that we went back to his condo and got ready to go out for dinner and drinks.  D's college friends (Dustin and Felicia) live in Aurora so they came to meet up with us.  We went to Ling & Louies, which was this amazing Asian Restaurant...similar to PF Changs.  After supper we headed back to Blake's condo to hang out for a bit, and then it was time for us to hit the sack.


Downtown Denver
Friday we got up at 5:30am to make sure we were up and ready and left at 7 to head up to the mountains.  We went to Keystone Mountain and skied from 9am until 4pm.  I am so bummed that I didn't take any pictures.  I guess I was too busy trying to work up enough courage to make it down the mountain, back up, and down again several times.  Actually to be honest, D had the camera the whole time and skied ahead of me most of the day.  The first time down the mountain Blake didn't actually realize how bad I was and how terrified I was, so he decided that taking me down a blue would be a greaaaat idea.  Yeah...not so much.  It took like a good 1.5 hours for us to get down.  It was really scary for me.  After that, we made sure to stay on the greens.  We ate lunch at Kickapoo Tavern on the resort, which had some of the best nachos I've ever had.  After lunch I went back down a few different times, and I was done.  I was cold, tired, sore, and ready for a beverage.  Felicia and I sat in the Inxpot Coffee Shop.  This place was cool!  They had coffee, beer, mix drinks, and food.  I've never been in a coffee shop like that before.  D, Blake, and Dustin decided they were done at about 5:30.  By then the temp had dropped, wind picked up, and the snow was starting to ice over.  Back to Denver we went, it took us about 2 hours to get home.  We picked up some awesome pizza (can't remember the name of the place) on our way home, showered, and all were asleep by 10pm.  We were so tired!!

Invesco Field where the Broncos play

Mountain shot

Saturday we went and ate lunch at Highland Tap and Burger, which was probably one of the best burgers I've ever had.  D and I both had the Bacon Cheese Burger...man was it juicy!!  The weather was so nice we sat out on the patio, I drank Bottomless Mimosa's for $9, and D and Blake had their Bloody Mary bar.  The Mimosa's were sooo yummy!!  After that Blake took us to a flea market, which was very interesting to say the least.  Saturday night we walked downtown and went to Blake Street Tavern where we ate supper, and had a few beers.  D and I had the French Dip Sandwich, and it was deeelish!  From there we went to Brothers, which used to be The Real World Denver home (don't believe me, read here).  And across the street was Cowboys.  Both places were super packed, but we had a lot of fun.  Here are some pics from Saturday...

Yummy Mimosa!


D and I heading into the Flea Market

Group shot at Blake Street Tavern


D, Blake, and Wade having a little fun at Brothers!


Sunday I wasn't feeling the greatest, which probably had nothing to do with everything I drank on Saturday and had everything to do with the elevation!  D and I went to eat at Jack-N-Grill, and ordered their famous 7lb burrito to split.  This 7lb burrito was featured on Man vs Food, and I don't think Adam ever finished it.  It has 5lbs of grilled tators, 12 scrambled eggs, 1/2lb ham, 1/2 of cheese, onions, and choice of green or red chile sauce!  We split it, Dustin ate his half and I barely touched it.  It was a mammoth!  It was good, but it would have been even better if there was more meat inside.  Here is our progress (or should I say Dustin's progress?!)...

7lb Burrito in all its GLORY!


showing a little progress


And we're throwing in the towel!
D made it about half way, notice my side is barely touched!
 After that we went to Castle Rock outlets.  I just haaaad to go to the Coach Outlet store.  They were having a haaaauuuuuggge sale!  Their clearance was an additional 50% off, and then they gave everyone a 30% off your entire purchase coupon.  I was in love!!  But I was also ready to get the heck out of that place, there was lines everywhere.  I did wind up getting their Signature Sling Pack for about $59 (originally $128).  I was stoked!!!  We fell in love with Castle Rock and can't wait to go back!

Just like this, only bronze instead of pink!
 On our way back to KS, we took a scenic route for about 1.5 hours...got to see some pretty country!  God is amazing!

One last shot from Castle Rock
 
So open and beautiful!
 
Wow!

 
God sure is amazing, isn't he?

Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to share our experience with all of you!!!

Here are some "next time" musts...
-lots of Dramamine (for the nauseated feeling from elevation and crazy drivers)
-must get up early enough to eat at SNOOZE in downtown Denver(heard it's the best place for brunch, and the long lines have to stand for something)
-make a day trip out of the outlets
-make it over to the famous Cherry Cricket (also featured on Man vs Food)

2 comments:

  1. You had me at $9 bottomless mimosas, but I guess it's pretty too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww how flipping fun! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! I always want to eat at places that Adam at MvF has eaten at! my top choice right now is the 420 cafe in Sarasota FL.. we have family near there... I must go.. he made it look sooooooo good! <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)