Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Easy Minestrone Soup



Fall is on the horizon, and soup has been sounding so good! The other night I wanted something that was light, but also hearty with vegetables.  I've never made Minestrone soup, but I thought it sounded really good. So off to Google I went and found this 30 min recipe from Taste Of Home (click for the original recipe), it sounded perfect to me! Of course I didn't have every single ingredient, so I adjusted it to my likings and what we had on hand. I didn't put any meat in it, and D actually loved it! So this my friends is a keeper recipe, and I can't wait to make it again. I also made a batch of simple biscuits to go with it. Yummm!

Here is the definition of Minestrone Soup from wikipedia:
Minestrone (literally big soup) is a thick soup of Italian origin made with vegetables, often with the addition of pasta or rice. Common ingredients include beans, onions, celery, carrots, stock, and tomatoes.
 
The great thing about Minestrone soup is you can adapt it to your likings, and even make it completely vegetarian by using Vegetable Stock/Broth instead of Beef.

Easy Minestrone Soup - (adapted from Taste of Home)
serves approx 6
Ingredients:
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 teaspoons canola oil
5 1/2 cups water
4 beef bouillon cubes
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can green beans
1 can dark red kidney beans
2/3 cup cooked elbow macaroni or favorite pasta (I used spiral)
Salt & Pepper to taste (be generous with both)
Italian Seasoning to taste
Shredded Italian Cheese (optional)
 
Directions:
1. In a large saucepan, saute carrots, onions, and garlic in canola oil for 5 minutes.
2. Add in the remaining ingredients, except for the pasta: Water, Beef Bouillon cubes, Diced Tomatoes, Green Beans, and Kidney Beans.
3. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes until vegetables are soft.
4. In the meantime boil noodles until al dente.
5. Add in noodles, salt, pepper, and italian seasoning (to taste).
6. Pour some in a bowl, sprinkle with some italian cheese blend (optional), and enjoy!
 
This soup was just as good the next day as it was fresh! You can see from the original recipe that I had to add in more water & bouillon cubes. There wasn't enough liquid for it to be a soup.
 
Are you ready for fall, and for all of the yummy food that it brings? I can't wait!
 

 
 

3 comments:

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)