Friday, July 13, 2012

DIY Tulle Pom Poms

The next project that I did for Maycee's 1st birthday party was tulle pom poms!  I had my mom's friend make a bunch of them for our wedding in our colors (Navy, Fuchsia, and Lime Green) and they were so fun to decorate with!  Anyways, I had to learn how to make them, and I found a great and easy tutorial over at 320 Days of Sunshine.  I didn't use the tulle that came on a roll, I bought 3 yard of each brown & light pink tulle at Hobby Lobby.  Using this type of tulle made 1 more step, but I wanted those particular colors and I didn't have time to look for the roll.  So either way works, really.


To make tulle pom-poms, you will need:
  • Light Pink & Brown Tulle (3 yards each will make (3) 8inch-ish tulle poms)
  • Scissors
  • a book (this will make a difference on how big you want them)
  • Cute 1/4 inch ribbon
Before you get started, you will need to make sure your tulle is folded in half vertically, then again, and 1 last time.  So you will fold it 3 times.

First, you will take your book and lay it on the tulle the long way.  Your tulle might hang off the edges of the book, that is ok.  Our marriage prep book came in handy after the wedding!! :)

Second, wrap the book in the tulle at least 3 times so your poms will be full (that is what I did and got (3) 8" poms out of each color).

Once you have your book wrapped in tulle, remove the book and cut the tulle on both sides.  You will have a stack, but you will need to cut the sides again so all of your tulle will be separated.


Make sure your stack is nice & neat, take your ribbon and tightly tie a knot in the center of the tulle.  It will "gather" it together.  If you are going to hang these from above, make sure your ribbon is long enough.

Last all you need to do is peel back each layer to fluff the tulle until it forms a ball!


Danielle kept the poms to hang up in Maycee's room for decoration!  These are so cute and easy to make for party decorations, room decor, and you can even use smaller ones to add to cute packaging (I added a smaller one to Maycee's Gift Bag and taped it on!).


Want to see more about this party? Click here for the party, and here to see how to make a scalloped birthday banner!

Six Sisters Stuff
Not So Homemade

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)