Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lovely Coasters!

I made a couple sets of coasters last week, 1 for my best friend Aimee (for her bday) and 1 for my mom (for Mothers Day), and I seriously fell in love with them!  I can't wait to make a set of my own...heck if I ever start up my own etsy shop, these will for sure be on there!!  They are a little time consuming, but honestly pretty easy.

Material: Tiles, Scrapbook Paper, Modge Podge, Paper Cutter, Felt, Distressed Ink.
Not Shown: Glue Gun, Polyurethane Floor Sealer, Sanding Block
 
Close-up on the Tiles!


First, I wiped down the tiles front and back.  There was a lot of powdery substance on there from the stone.  Next, I chose my scrapbook paper and measured it out, and cut the paper accordingly (the tiles were 4x4, so I left a little extra on - more on that later).

Then it was time to put a layer of Modge Podge on the tile, then put the scrapbook paper on top (make sure it's even, or close to).  I took the handle of my scissors and rubbed it hard across the paper so it was sure to stick.  I let them dry overnight...not sure if it was necessary, but hey it was my bedtime!  I think 1-2 hours would be sufficient (just make sure it's dry enough it won't slip off when you're handling them for the next step).
Slathering a layer of Modge Podge on before putting paper on
 
Paper smoothed out on the tile...I love the texture!


Next I took a sanding block (also used on these Shabby Chic Letters to achieve the worn look) and sanded the excess paper off.  It doesn't have to be perfect, just as close as you can get to the edge.  The edges will be rough, that's the look we're going for!
All roughed up
After sanding, I wiped them down to make sure I got all of the paper dust off.  Then I wanted the edges to have a vintage look, so I took some distressed ink (also used on those cute letters) and rubbed the worn edges with it.  They were already looking pretty dang cute!

Rubbed some Distressed Ink on the edges
Then I slathered 1 coat of Modge Podge over the paper and down the sides of the tile (to help the edges seal better), and let it dry overnight.  I then repeated with another layer of Modge Podge after the first layer was dry, and again let it dry overnight (be sure to get the edges again too).

Slather 2 layers of Modge Podge on, including the edges, let dry in between
 Almost done...I wanted to make sure they would be waterproof, so I took some Polyurethane floor sealer and slathered on a couple of coats of that (drying in between of course, but it dries really quick!).  I got it at our local co-op.

Waterproofing it!
Last step, I promise...I took some brown felt, and traced some circles (4 circles for each coaster, and I had 8 coasters!) and cut them out.  I hot glued the circles on the bottom in the corners, so they wouldn't scratch the table!


Apply the Felt Dot
 
Do all 4 corners


Of course I had to wrap them up with some cute ribbon!!!  So what do you think?  Have you ever made any coasters of your own, or are you ever looking for some cute ones and can't find any?

Lookin' all cute!
 
Ready to hold some beverages! ;)


All wrapped up for Aimee in some pink tissue paper and
black snake print leather ribbon with frill's on the edges!!
 
Bad picture, but these were Mom's coasters!

I just love hers too!

 
Hers are all wrapped up in some brown glitzy ribbon!



Linking up too...
At Home With Haley
It's A Blog Party
The Girl Creative
Today's Creative Blog
The Shabby Chic Cottage
What Allie's Making Now
Somewhat Simple
Paisley's Passions
Lovely Crafty Home
Just a Girl
The Sisters of the Wild West
Polka Dots on Parade
Heck Fridays
Purple Froggie Clay Stuff

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness those are sooo pretty! I want some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they turned out great...Good job Kayla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are awesome! Thanks for explaining the process so well! I think even I could do this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They ARE lovely! hehe I would love it if you could stop by Heck Fridays tomorrow (Thursday) and post it on our first link party!

    http://www.heckfridays.blogspot.com

    Hope to see you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really loving theses coasters! great tutorial as well. stopping by from Heck Fridays.
    ~ Jill from 'Just Dream, Jelly Bean!'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crap. Now there's something else on my to-do list.

    :) Those are awesome! I've seen coasters before with just mod podge on the top, and have always wondered about what would happen when the drinks start to condensate. Thanks for the tip!

    http://lifecraftsandwhatever.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love these.....I am going to make these....really nice!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)