Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Beer Battered Onion Rings

First off I hope you all had a great weekend!  We didn't do a whole lot, which doesn't happen very often for us!  Friday I got my  hair cut and highlighted, Saturday I went to the pool all afternoon and most of the night, and Sunday we worked out in the yard and relaxed!  It was a great weekend!!

Today I have an easy/awesome/addicting recipe for you...Beer Battered Onion Rings!  It's not completely "homemade" (mix comes in a box), but it was too good not to share it with you!!  And before we get to the recipe, I just want to say something...we don't do a whole lot of "frying" at our house, we usually use the oven for Chicken Nuggets, Oven Fried Chicken, etc, but these you must fry!  Also, I haven't always been a fan of Onion Rings, until a couple years ago.  Since then they've slowly made it onto my "like" food list!  I don't like all Onion Rings though, in particular, Sonic Onion Rings in my opinion are gross!  However, these were so yummy, I can't wait to make them again! 


Ingredients: (original recipe found here)
Oil for frying (I used Canola)
1 cup McCormick's Golden Dipt Seafood Beer Batter Mix
1-2 large Sweet Onions, sliced and separated into rings (Vidalia's are amazing for these)*
2/3 cup Beer (or you can use water)
Flour (optional)**
2 tbsp of your favorite hot sauce (optional)***

Ingredients
Directions:
1. Pour Oil into Deep Fat Fryer or skillet and heat to 375 degrees
2. Mix Beer Batter Mix, Beer, and Hot Sauce into pie plate (or another dish) until smooth

3. Pour flour into separate dish
4.  Slice Onions into Rings, about 3/4"-1" thick
5. Dip Rings into Flour, then into the Beer Batter mixture

6. Drop into oil and fry for a few minutes on each side until golden brown

7. Lay rings on paper towels and sprinkle with some sea salt
8. Dip into your favorite sauce and enjoy!!

Look at the mountain o' Onion Rings!! Mmm...


Notes: Fry a whole bunch of rings at the same time, not one by one.
*I used 2 large Vidalia Onions; the recipe above will do about 1-1.5 large onions, so you'll probably have to mix up the rest of the box to finish.  2 large onions made way to many for 2 people!
**Flour isn't called for in the original recipe, but I did some research and a lot of people suggested dipping the rings in flour first, so I did.
***I wanted to give our rings a little kick, but we could barley even taste it...next time I'll use more!  I'm sure it varies on the type of sauce you use also. 

They are great as an appetizer, as a side dish, or even on top of your favorite burger (or sandwich)!  I will eat 'em any way listed above!  What is your favorite way to eat Onion Rings?

Linking up too...
At Home With Haley
It's A Blog Party
The Girl Creative
Today's Creative Blog
Peas & Crayons - What I Ate Wednesday
The Shabby Chic Cottage
What Allie's Making Now
Somewhat Simple
Paisley's Passions
Not So Homemade
Lovely Crafty Home
Just a Girl
The Sisters of the Wild West
Polka Dots on Parade
Little Brick Ranch - Foodie Friday
This Chick Cooks
Moms Crazy Cooking - Dad's Favorite Meal

7 comments:

  1. Thanks...now I'm craving onion rings, which wouldn't be bad, except they are not on my diet! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa those look perfect - I had no idea McCormick sold beer batter my mind is already pondering things to "dunk" in it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooh onion rings! I always forget these exist as an option! <3 loooove them!

    and omg girl that wine is so delish! you'll have to let me know what you think! def pair it with dessert! <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! Great recipe and tips! Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man!! Those look delish!! I may or may not be drooling now. :) Thanks for sharing! Found you on Today's Creative Blog.
    Kira Dee http://stubbornlycrafty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kayla- Those onion rings look amazing. My whole family would just LOVE them :) Thanks for coming by to share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight. Have a great weekend!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have been meaning to comment for quite some time now about these onion rings....can.you.say.FANTASTIC!! Absolutely the best o-rings I've eaten much less made!! And that includes o-rings you can get at any small town bar! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)