Wednesday, September 7, 2011

CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE #1 - The ULTIMATE Macaroni & Cheese

Photobucket

Tina over at MOM'S CRAZY COOKING started up an invitation only link party called CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE (click link for more info)!  I was fortunate enough for her to ask me to participate; of course I'm always looking for new recipes to try, so I thought why not!  The first challenge was to find "The Ultimate" Mac & Cheese recipe found out in bloggy land, so I started hunting around until I found the one I thought sounded perfectTraditional Mac 'N Cheese from Desert Drivel.  Jen shared this recipe back in 2010, and I randomly came upon it, I believe via google search.  The more I read on it, the more I knew that I had to make this stuff.  I made a few adjustments and additions.


Ingredients:
7 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp flour
4 cups milk
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp (or more) of your favorite hot sauce
1 lb penne pasta (or favorite pasta: elbow or corkscrew)
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups shredded asiago/parmesan blend
1/4 cup bread crumbs
4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped

Ingredients

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*, and butter a 9x13 baking dish.  In large pot, bring water to boil for noodles.  Once the water is boiling, add in penne noodles and cook as directed on box.  Drain noodles.

In a a medium saucepan melt 6 tbsp of butter over low-medium heat (reserve the last tbsp for later).

Add flour and make into a roux, whisking for 3 minutes.

Slowly add in milk, continuing to whisk.  Bring to a boil.  Add in dry mustard, hot sauce, salt & pepper, and simmer sauce.  Whisk occasionally until thickened.


In a large bowl, stir together noodles, sauce, cheddar cheese, and 1 cup of asiago/parm mixture.  Transfer over into baking dish.

In a small dish, stir together bread crumbs and remaining asiago/parm cheese; sprinkle over penne mixture.  Chop cooked bacon and sprinkle over dish.  Cut butter and randomly place over entire mixture.

Bake macaroni and cheese for 25-30 minutes, until golden and bubbling.


This Mac 'n' Cheese was amazing!  The hot sauce didn't make it spicy at all, not even a kick, but added some flavor.  I love what the crunchiness and flavor of the bacon added to the dish.  The asiago/parm cheese mixture was amazing.  It gave it a nice "nutty" richness, glad I added it.  One thing that I will change next time is the amount of bread crumbs I used.  I actually used 1/2 cup, but it seemed a little too much; I suggest using about 1/4 cup, but no more.  Panko bread crumbs might also be a nice touch, but my little grocery store didn't have any.  All in all this dish was cheesy fantastic and makes a ton!!  This will be my new "go to" recipe for Traditional Mac 'n' Cheese.  So again, thank you Jen from Desert Drivel for sharing this fabulous recipe with us (for all of you reading this, go check her blog out)!!


Be sure to check out the other bloggers who are participating in the challenge, and vote for your favorite "Ultimate" Mac & Cheese recipe (click the "like" button).  Don't forget to stop in and say HI!! ;)



Also linking up too...
At Home With Haley
It's A Blog Party
The Girl Creative
Today's Creative Blog
The Shabby Creek Cottage
What Allie's Making Now
Somewhat Simple
Lovely Crafty Home
Just a Girl
The Sisters of the Wild West
Polka Dots on Parade
This Chick Cooks
Ginger Snap Crafts

25 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds delicious!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE anything cheesy, and mac and cheese is always a winner. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks soo good! Stopping by from the MACARONI & CHEESE Linky Party through Moms Crazy Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creamy, cheesy, rich!!! Be still my heart. ;-) Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I found your blog on the crazy cooking challenge. You have a great blog looks so yummy :) Check out my food blog

    www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bacon!! Makes Mac & Cheese all that much more delicious.
    My Crazy Cooking Challenge entry: Velvety Mac & Cheese.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked the recipe Kayla! It's worth the time and effort you put into it, but it's still easy to make. I think what makes it so good is the Parmesan - it adds an extra cheese tang that you can't get with cheddar alone.

    Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the addition of the bacon and hot sauce in your recipe, it looks really good! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bacon, hot sauce and Asiago? You might just be my new BFF! I really really like this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anything that has Asiago in it has to be delicious! Love that cheese!

    Stopping by on my way through the links from Moms Cooking Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Asiago combined with parmesan, yum! So happy I found your site on the Crazy Cooking Challenge, its lovely!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of adding bacon - such a good idea! The was my first time joining the ccc - can't wait for next month's.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Recipe! (check in the foreign food isle for panko) that's where they are in my store!

    Thanks for joining CCC, I can't wait for next month, Chocolate Chip Cookies, YEA!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love when mac and cheese includes hot sauce and bacon ~ gives it such a nice flavor.

    Miranda
    Crazy Cooking Challenge: Beer Mac and Cheese
    Mangoes and Chutney|Foodie Forums

    ReplyDelete
  14. Macaroni and cheese is always popular in this family; love your recipe...it is ultimate but still quie healthy; thank you.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh - I don't have a mac and cheese recipe to add but I sure am glad to find this at Wow Me Wednesday! I will be making this delicious looking dish ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmm, looks good! Stopping by from the challenge :)

    Paige @ thecrunchymamacita.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lookin good!! MMM gimme bacon :) Great pick!

    If you'd like, please stop by my blog and check out my mac and cheese post :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/09/crazy-cooking-challenge-and-buffalo.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice mac! Your a bacon head just like me haha, the bacon makes a lot of diffrence and adds to the flavor in my opinion.
    Great job....

    ReplyDelete
  19. You killed me with bacon. I'm totally in! Looks wonderful! Good job! Can't wait for next month =o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. bacon and mac & cheese- nom nom nom
    chameleongirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! I'm Nicole from Romanian Princess. I saw your blog on a link up and decided I better add you! Please return the favor and follow me back at:

    www.romanianprincess.com!

    XoXo Nicole Mariana

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh heck yum! add bacon to an already fab dish!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds interesting! I never would've thought to add hot sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Actually, looks a bit more fancy than traditional mac! :) I have yet to try your recipe, but worry not - the time will come soon. (just too many recipes to try out at once, can't keep up)

    ___
    International Calls to Australia

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)