Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hearty Steak Soup

I love it when the weather starts to cool off at night.  I love that the leaves and everything is starting to change.  I love fall.  Though we are still enjoying the 70 & 80 degree weather (no complaining here), I like the cooler temps at night (so does my wallet!).  I could live with this type of weather year round, seriously!  In a nut shell, cooler temps to me means...comfort food, heartier soups, and hot chocolate (maybe even some Hot Chocolate Chip Cookies?!)!

I've been craving some type of vegetable beef, steak soup, beef and noodles type of dishes...which I'll be honest I'm not a vegetable soup kind of girl.  I started roaming through my Fix It & Forget It cookbook for some inspiration...I didn't have time to make it in the crock pot, because it was well past noon.  I found a Steak Soup recipe that looked like a great base, and then I added some additional ingredients.


This soup is hearty, it's beefy, and all around delicious...it will definitely warm you up inside if you need it!  You can add or take away anything you wish, but this is how I made it.

Ingredients:
1 lb stew beef
2 tbsp oil
5 beef bouillon cubes
5 cups water
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can green beans, drained
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1 zucchini, halved and sliced
3 large carrots (or approx 10-12 baby carrots), cut up (I cooked them in the microwave in some water for 2.5 minutes to help soften them up)
1 large russet potato, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
Black Pepper and Salt to taste

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
1. In a large pot, heat up 2tbsp of oil on medium heat.  Once its hot, add in your beef and season with your choice of seasonings (I used Black Pepper, Salt, Montreal Steak seasoning, and Garlic Salt).  You don't want to over cook it, just until it's brown.
2. In a medium pot bring to boil 5 cups of water, and then add in 5 beef bouillon cubes.  Once dissolved, set aside.
3.  After the beef is browned, add it into a large pot along with the following: beef broth, diced tomatoes, drained green beans, onion, red bell pepper, zucchini, carrots, potato, minced garlic, and salt & pepper to taste.  Cover with lid.  Reduce heat to medium-low, let it simmer for about 1 hour 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. Approximately 15-20 minutes before serving, you will need a medium pot to melt 1 stick of butter (I just used the same one from the beef broth).  Once it's melted, remove from heat.  Stir in flour to create a roux/paste, add in a little salt.
5. Add the roux/paste into the soup, stir until it's smooth.  Let it thicken for about 15 minutes.
6. Grab a bowl, fill it up, and devour!!


Notes: You can do this in the crock pot, the only thing you'll need to do is: follow steps 1-3 as stated above, but cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Approximately 1 hour before you eat, you'll want to add the roux/paste in made in step 4 and turn it on high.

I served this Steak Soup with some yummy homemade biscuits, which I will do a post on those later.  It was a perfect fall meal!



Linking up too...
At Home With Haley
It's A Blog Party
The Girl Creative
Today's Creative Blog
Not So Homemade
The Shabby Creek Cottage
What Allie's Making Now
Somewhat Simple
Lovely Crafty Home
Just a Girl
The Sisters of the Wild West
Polka Dots on Parade
This Chick Cooks
Ginger Snap Crafts
Homemaker on a Dime
My Favorite Finds

2 comments:

  1. That is a perfect dinner soup and with those biscuits; good enought to serve company; a keeper; thanks.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup looks excellent and your little rolls are fantastic:)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and it also helps me know if you liked my post! So please take the time and leave me some comment love!! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)